Adopted LCSA General Meeting Minutes
January 12, 2015
Lisa Proto, Nurhan Uludag, Isabel Barros, Helen Correia, Leiba McLean, Ayesha Shahid, Elaine Lau, Nicole Tomanek, Natalie L., Leiba McLean, Elizabeth Hunter, Dawn Murphy, Paul Dayson, Dino Klarich, Shirley Hatch, Angella Anderson, Paul Lam, Cari Drazenovic.
Call to Order: Lisa P. @ 9:10 AM
Introduction – Lisa P.
Adoption of Agenda & Nov 17, 2014 minutes – Lisa P.
- Agenda: Remove Constitution Review move to Exec Mtg.
- Minutes: Motion to pass: Nicole T./Second: Paul & Dawn.
Principal’s Report – Dino K.
- make sure that you are on the list serve to receive all email communication from the school.
First Report Cards
- Reports have gone out.
- If any parents have any questions/comments please see your child’s teacher.
- We are now into 2nd
- Is working well.
- Looking at changing the bell.
FSA (Foundation Skills Assessment)
- Grade 4 to 7 are involved.
- Going to happen later this month and into February.
- If parents have any concerns please let the school know.
- Not used for any grading at the school; it is a snapshot of your child.
- There is a parallel between how they do on the assessment and how they are doing at school.
- Burnaby will release next year’s budget fairly soon.
Pro D day
- Jan 23, 2015
- Development will be around the area of mathematics.
- Betterment of how teachers approach mathematics.
- It is not on our current plan but it could become part of the plan in the future.
- Ron Colburn – district – will be attending and sharing ideas with the staff.
- One of the things we will look at is student engagement. If they are engaged they will do better.
- Technology is something to be looked at as well.
- Staff from another school will also be attending.
- Will take place Feb 18 or 19, 2015.
- RSBC is our school planning counsel and they will be invited.
- District is coming in to assess how we’re doing and where we are going. They provide us suggestions/feedback. It is a very good discussion.
- LCSA can attend.
EDI (Early Development Index)
- Takes place provincially in Kindergarten.
- Looks at what the needs of all children in the community not just the school.
- District wants us to look at our technology plan.
- We will be shifting some of our needs.
Conversation Tea Time – Ayesha S./Lisa P.
- First one was last Friday, Jan 9, 2015.
- Meeting parents from different countries
- Talked about socializing and their history.
- Each meeting will have a different topic of discussion.
- 10 – 12 parents came. We expect more at the next meeting.
- Friday, Jan 17, 2015 next meeting – we will be discussing things to do in Burnaby/Lower Mainland.
- Trying to get a speaker once a month. One idea is the pharmacist and what a family should have in their medicine cabinet.
Upcoming Events/Fundraisers – Lisa P.
- Pink Shirt Day – Wednesday, Feb 25, 2015.
- Family Photo Night – to be determined (Februaryish).
- Book Fair – to be determined (Februaryish).
- Staff Appreciation Luncheon – Mon, Feb 16, 2015
- Conversation Tea Time – every Friday.
- Next General Meeting – Mon, March 30, 2015.
- Spring Break – March 2015
Craft Fair Review:
- $1,905 profit ($400 was table profit).
- It went very well.
- Need to determine if we will do a Fall Fair or a Craft Fair.
- Will pursue Fall Fair planning after spring break.
Staff Luncheon – Leiba M.
- Looking at Mon, Feb 16, 2015.
- Volunteers needed.
Budget Review/Status – Isabel B.
- Reviewed LCSA 2014 – 2015 Annual Budget (see Handout #1).
- Put forward a request to increase Family in need Fund by $220 to pay for Behavioral class. Funds will come from Pancake Breakfast as BNCA will pay for breakfast and the $200 we have allotted is not needed.
- Dino K. – district has a budget for classroom need that we may be able to draw from before we involve LCSA.
- Dawn – suggesting in next year’s budget to include Behavioral class in Classroom Expenses.
- Isabel will wait to hear from Dino re district budget.
- Is there anyone interested in doing a mini budget audit?
- Cari D. and Angella A. will audit.
Laptop Cart Review – Dino K. & Isabel B.
- District is now looking at cost sharing to replace current systems at the school.
- $13,000 – $15,000 cost to replace.
- Can the school/LCSA share the cost?
- Recommended to not go with the laptop cart and use those funds towards the district plan.
- In the future we will work on the laptop cart again.
- Motion: Allow $9,000 dedicated to laptop cart to be designated to technology replacement in the school – Isabel B.
- Cari and Lisa – 2nd the motion.
- Cari D. – Pancake breakfast
- Write up done for future pancake breakfast planners.
- Breakers – the electrical/power issue are being looked into by the district.
- Nurhan – Tuesday, Jan 13, 2015 – Hot Chocolate day
- 15 computer monitors available from Natalie.
Meeting adjourned: 10:30AM